Industrial strength chicken soup!
Long travel takes it’s toll on the best of us, my wife Kirin is fighting off a cold after our trip. While she’s sleeping, I’m going to surprise her with some high-powered chicken soup to help her recover faster.
(Update – it was a major hit! Exact quote: “This is the best tasting soup I’ve ever had in my whole life.)
- Chicken breast tenders – 1 pound, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 pounds of red potatoes cut into dice-sized cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric, grated
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 astragalus sticks (Asian markets or natural food stores sometimes will stock these. Don’t worry if you can’t find them, they have no effect on the flavor)
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 tbsp organic better than bouillon, chicken flavor
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce (also ok to omit or substitute 1/2 can anchovies – yep, anchovies, trust me?)
- 4 ribs of organic celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a saucepan.
- Saute the chicken until nearly done.
- Remove chicken and add onions, saute until clear and soft.
- Add 2 quarts of water.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 20+ minutes.
- Remove astragalus sticks.
- Scoop out roughly 3 cups of potatoes (OK if you get a few other ingredients with them).
- Puree potatoes in a blender.
- Add puree back to saucepan.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Serve and get a good night’s sleep 🙂
To your health,