Beans don’t get enough credit. With all of that resistant fiber, it’s something that should be a staple in meals and with your shake. This recipe is perfect for a great dinner and is Adrenal Reset Diet approved. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon non-iodized salt, Diamond, or Mortons brands, plus more for seasoning
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and sear until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip and brown the other side. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and any of its juices, broth, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer, adjusting the heat as needed, until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, wash and coarsely chop the kale into bite-sized pieces, removing the tough stems for another use.
- Remove the chicken to a clean plate. Add the kale and beans to the pot and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the chicken when not too hot.
- When the kale is ready, stir in the shredded chicken and lemon zest. Add to bowls or plates as preferred and enjoy!