A vegetarian and vegan twist on classic Italian risotto – pumpkin! Why not? Pumpkin adds a sweet and unique flavor perfect for fall, as a vegetarian Thanksgiving entree, or anytime. If you have a gluten allergy, be sure to use certified gluten-free arborio rice to avoid any cross-contamination.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
- 2 cups arborio (risotto) rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste (non-iodized salt, Diamond, or Mortons brands)
- Sautee the onion in 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat for three to five minutes, or until soft.
- Add the rice. Allow to cook, stirring, for a minute or two.
- Slowly add the wine.
- Start to add the vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Allow the moisture to cook off before adding the next 1/2 cup. Stir frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring well, and cook for just a few minutes, until heated through.
This recipe is based on one found on vegetarian.about.com