This soup has a medium rating for spiciness; if you like it mild, add 1/2 teaspoon less of the crushed red chili flakes, or add 1/2 teaspoon more for hotter soup. Serve this soup with baked fish or chicken and a green salad.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Herbamare
- 2-14 oz. cans coconut milk
- 4 cups organic vegetable or chicken stock
- 4-5 red bell peppers, roasted
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Heat the avocado oil in a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, red chili flakes, and sea salt and sauté until tender.
- Add the coconut milk, stock bell peppers, and tomatoes to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the soup in the blender in batches, then return to pot, or use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot.
- Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, then add the parsley and basil and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring often.
- Taste and adjust the spices if necessary.
Tip: To roast the red bell peppers, place them in a baking dish under the broiler until the skin is charred, turning frequently, 8-10 minutes. Remove the peppers from the dish and place them into a paper bag or a covered glass bowl. Let steam for about 10 minutes. Remove the peppers and peel off charred skin. Cut the peppers and remove and discard the stem and seeds.