Homemade pesto can not be beat! The olive oil in pesto sauce is full of a heart-healthy fats called monounsaturated fats, or MUFAs.. Monounsaturated fats can help lower blood cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar levels and aid in blood clotting in case of injury. The fresh basil in the pesto sauce gives you a blast of antioxidants. Not to mention, it is REALLY tasty. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups packed basil
- 1/2 cup packed flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 cup green peas (if frozen, thawed)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (DF, cheese option), plus more for serving
- Pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 10 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- Fill a large saucepan 3/4 full with water, salt generously, and bring to a boil.
- Season Chicken Breast however you’d like and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a cast iron pan.
- Place cubed chicken in for about 7 mins on each side until desired doneness.
- Now it’s time to prepare the pesto. Add basil, parsley, peas, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, vegan nutritional yeast and sea salt to a food processor.. Mix to combine. While the machine is running, stream in olive oil through the spout.
- Continue blending, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and fully combined. If it has trouble blending add a bit more olive oil or water.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity/brightness, vegan parmesan for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or peas for sweetness.
- Next add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Be sure not to overcook, and drain when noodles are ‘al dente’ and still have a slight bite to them. Return to pan off heat and set aside.
- Once your pasta is drained, heat a large saucepan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant but not yet browned.
- Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner, then add cooked pasta and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter or mixing bowl and add 3/4 of pea pesto, chicken, and the arugula. Toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!