This recipe comes from the Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. It makes a hearty meal when the weather begins to turn cold.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 organic beef roast (2-3 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (non-iodized salt, Diamond, or Mortons brands)
- t teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cups organic vegetable juice cocktail, or tomato puree
- 2 cups organic beef broth
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4-5 red potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 rutabaga or 1 yam, cut into large chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Rub the salt and pepper into the roast on all sides. Add the roast to the dutch oven and sear for a few minutes on all sides. Add the thyme, onion, vegetable juice, and broth.
- Cover, transfer to the preheated oven, and braise for 2 hours. Remove the pot from the oven and add the remaining vegetables. Return the pot to the oven and continue to cook for 1-2 more hours, or until the roast begins to fall apart and the vegetables are tender.