Biggest Hormones Replacement Therapy Safety Myths with Dr. Shawn Tassone
Between the latest online fads and the crazy media headlines, it’s easier than ever to get confused about your health. If you want to make better decisions about your health today so you can feel better and live longer, you’ve come to the right place.
It’s no secret that many women suffer extensively from the symptoms of perimenopause and menopause. This major life change is the cause of sleep disturbances, changes in cognitive function, weight changes, hot flashes, night sweats, migraines, and more. Hormone replacement therapy has proven to be an effective and welcome relief from such symptoms, but is it safe? Does it cause breast cancer? Are there other health benefits or dangers associated with HRT that you need to know about? We’ve seen an increase in data on this topic over the last few years, as well as a shift in perspectives that may surprise you.
I’m joined today by Dr. Shawn Tassone to discuss this topic. Dr. Tassone is a board-certified OB/GYN, and his 20 years of experience have allowed him to understand and help over 40,000 women. There are many myths surrounding menopause, and today we’re going to separate the facts from the fiction. I want you to understand what’s helpful, what’s safe, and all of the ins and outs of this somewhat surprising topic. Dr. Tassone shares a six-step method to approaching menopause, only one of which is a hormonal treatment, and offers encouragement and hope to any woman that has ever been told that suffering through menopause and feeling miserable is just part of getting older.
- (1:08) Today’s topic is menopause and HRT.
- (2:21) Dr. Tassone defines menopause and dives into some of the biggest and sometimes unexpected symptoms of the menopause transition, including insomnia and painful intercourse.
- (5:42) Understanding the concerns about HRT as a driver of cancer and the drugs that can result in the worst cancer probabilities.
- (10:14) Breaking down the studies regarding synthetic progesterone and estrogen — do either increase the risk of getting breast cancer?
- (14:10) Distinctions between the effectiveness of natural versus synthetic hormones are limited, and Dr. Tassone shares the risks of HRT with ovarian cancer and stroke.
- (18:35) How can you make the menopause process go more smoothly? Nutrition, exercise, essential oils, supplements, and meditation or yoga are all options you may want to try before turning to HTR.
- (20:42) Who struggles the most with menopause — younger or older women? Dr. Tassone shares what he’s seen and offers the benefits of gaining weight during menopause.
- (25:55) How does thyroid function change as a woman passes through menopause? A deep dive into the relationship between thyroid and hormones and the complexity of a woman’s body.
- (31:10) What can the menopause experience be like for a woman when it is handled well?
- (35:08) Do you have a topic you’d like me to cover? Contact me on Facebook or Instagram using #medicalmyths.
For a virtual one-on-one hormone consultation with Dr. Tassone, Click Here.
Connect with Dr. Tassone:
- Website: http://tassonemd.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tassonedoc/
- Instagram: @shawntassonemd
Did you find this episode helpful? Let us know by leaving a review! Visit these links to learn more:
Subscribe for more Medical Myths, Legends, & Fairytales: