Sweet potato is a great way to get good resistant fiber into your meals. This dish is a perfect balance of comfort and savory. It’s not too heavy and is a good way to get some good protein and other nutrients. Enjoy!
- 1 lb extra lean organic ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and spiralized
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 – 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- 1 – 8 oz can tomato paste
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
For the sauce:
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened flax milk
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a casserole dish with some olive oil.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey, garlic and onion cooking until browned, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Stir in the tomato paste and tomatoes to combine with the turkey.
- Add sweet potatoes cooking until slightly softened.
- Place chopped zucchini in a bowl with all seasonings, toss to combine.
- Layer the zucchini on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Top with turkey and sweet potato mixture.
- Place into oven and bake 15 minutes.
- While baking, heat a small pot to a boil and add olive oil with almond and coconut flours.
- Stir for 1 minute until it thickens then reduce to medium high heat.
- Slowly add unsweetened milk to the pan whisking as you stir.
- Continue to whisking another 10 minutes until the sauce reduces to half.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and top with sauce.
- Bake in oven another 40-45 minutes until the top of the casserole has browned.
- Remove from oven and top with more spices, then slice into 6 pieces and serve immediately.